If you follow the sewing community’s news on Instagram I’m sure you’ve already heard about the One Week One Pattern Challenge! This is a challenge launched about 5 years ago by Tilly (aka Tilly and the Buttons) and this year it was hosted by the lovely Sheona of Sewisfaction. What is this challenge? You basically have to use the same pattern and either create 7 different versions (one for each day of the week) or make one or more versions and styling them differently for 7 days. You can hack the pattern you chose, showcase it in different fabric types etc. It’s totally up to you!
This year I decided to participate and create 7 versions using the Ultimate Shift Dress by Sew Over It. The reason I chose this pattern was because:
1. it’s very simple and quick to make, but also very versatile and easy to hack and
2. I had a few fitting issues with it and I wanted to challenge myself and try to fix them.
The Ultimate Shift Dress was the first pattern I ever used and it has a sentimental value! I made 7 dresses out of it last year, but when I took them out of my closet this season I realized they didn’t fit as well as I remembered. They were VERY tight around the armholes to the point that I couldn’t take them out easily and also one of them was ripped apart at the center back seam as I was bending over. At first I though it was my mistake and that I chose the wrong size, although I’m always a size 10 at Sew Over It patterns.
When I searched online to see what I was doing wrong, I realized that a few other people had the same issue. So I left a comment on Lisa’s IG and asked about it and she advised to add a few cm on the centre back seam. And I did it! I made a top and it was a little bit more comfortable, but not perfect! I posted a photo on my Instagram addressing the issue and I was surprised to read how many of you actually had the same problem! So, I decided to give it a go and try to fix this issue and maybe provide a solution to anyone else who might need it!
I made a video about my plans for this challenge that you can watch here.
And these are the 7 makes! Because it’s easier to explain what I did on camera instead of writing an entire blog post, I filmed another video showing you the changes I made to the pattern pieces to ensure a better fit. You can watch it here.
I also want to thank my lovely sponsors for this project! Minerva Crafts, Sew Me Sunshine and Tsagrinos.gr
As for the fabrics I used, here are the links:
- Spotty Fabric for my maternity hack can be found here
- John Kaldor crepe for the version with the cuffs can be found here
- Alice in Wonderland cotton can be found here
- Black wool crepe can be found here
- Viscose with butterflies for my top can be found here