The Cleo pinafore dress from Tilly and the buttons was one of the most popular patterns this winter. Dozens of them would pop on my Instagram feed everyday and literally everyone made a Cleo (or two or three) in any color you can imagine. I myself am not a huge fan of pinafore dresses and was a bit reluctant at first but after seeing so many versions out there I decided to jump on the bandwagon and purchase the pattern.
Oh, and I’m so glad I did! This has to be one of my favorite things to make! I whipped up two Cleos in one day and wore them lots since then. They were so easy to sew, perfect for a beginner or for those days you just want to make something quickly to boost your confidence in your sewing skills! You know what I mean, right?
For my first Cleo I decided to use a dusty pink corduroy that was hiding in my stash. I had only one meter of it but it was enough for the dress. I went for size 4, which according to my measurements was the right size for me and I went for the buttons version because I didn’t have any metallic straps at home.
The thing is that I found this dress a bit big on my hips. I know it’s meant to be loose fitting but I didn’t really like how it looked on me so I decided to shave off a few centimetres on the side seams. Also, I shortened it a bit more because I prefer it that way -although I definitely won’t wear it without tights.
I really love how it turned out! I used black polka dot buttons and I usualy pair it with my black Agnes top, also from Tilly and the buttons.
For the second version I chose a red corduroy, which was a bit thinner than the pink one. I decided to cut a size 2 this time, which according to the finish measurements should be more fitted than the size 4. It came out perfectly! I did shorten this one, too and from now on I will always sew a size 2 for my Cleos.
This one has simple white buttons and I also interfaced the front part as suggested in the pattern instuctions (something I didn’t do for the pink one, because I thought the fabric was already too thick). This one definitely needed interfacing!