It’s about time I share with you my January/February makes! Wow, these months were so productive! I managed to sew some beautiful garments and I am so pleased! I don’t have much time for selfish sewing, as I am working long hours every day and usually by the time I finish with all the sewing for my business I am exhausted to sit in front of the sewing machine again to make something for me. So selfish sewing happens mostly on weekends or if I manage to squeeze them in some afternoons.
Anyway, on to the makes! I have posted a new video on my channel where you can see them better, although it’s in greek. I used all the fabrics I said I would in my fabric haul except for one.
First of all, my absolute favorite, the red ultimate shift dress! I fell in love with this one! It’s the fourth ultimate shift dress I made using Lisa’s pattern of course! I opted for the red wool crepe fabric I got from here. In my haul video I said I would make a 1950’s skirt but I changed my mind. I made a size 10 as always and it fits really great, no alterations needed.
I also made a second ultimate shift dress, this time with a floral viscose fabric, purchased from here. You may have seen it on my Instagram feed without the sleeves but as you can see here I ended up putting them on. This is a funny story! All this time with Sew Over It patterns I used to cut and sew a size 8. It fitted great but when I compared it with the given measurements something was off. I didn’t realize what it was until one day I noticed that I was using a 1cm seam allowance, but the pattern called for a 1,5 cm seam allowance. So, I cut a size 8 as always and used the correct seam allowance but the dress turned out too small! Well, of course it did, I am a size 10, dah! I felt like an idiot. I cut a new dress but didn’t have enough fabric for the sleeves and went for the sleeveless version, but to be honest I don’t like wearing tops under dresses and the weather is way too cold for sleeveless ones, so I ordered some more fabric and stitched up the sleeves. Now I can wear it comfortably!
Next make of the month was the Sew Over It Ultimate Trousers I said I would make with the black crepe I got from here. I’m not so sure about this one though. I cut a size 10 and on the first try on the fit was great! I stitched the zipped but then when I tried to sit down I couldn’t even breathe! I was devastated! I unpicked the whole thing and stitched it up agaid, this time with a much smaller seam allowance. I had to make a few adjustments on the waistband and the crotch seam and now it fits quite good, but it is a bit more “formal” for me. I might have to pass it on to my mother, although I really like the look of it. Anyway, we’ll see!
I also made something that wasn’t on my plans. A Susie Blouse! This is another Sew Over It pattern (I know, I’m obsessed). I used a soft viscose I found here and for the collar I used some leftover crepe from the trousers. This was a rather quick and easy make, apart from an issue at the collar. I ended up topstitching it to make it stay where it’s supposed to be ( I used a heavier interfacing than the one recommended and it is a bit stiffer than it should be I guess) I love the look of this blouse and I shall make many more 🙂
Another make of the month was the Toaster Sweater from Sew House Seven. The fabric I used for it was a stretchy knit I got from here and I love,love, love it! I have worn it several times already and it is super comfy and warm! I have written a full pattern review here if you are interested.
I couln’t resist sewing an Agnes top from Tilly and the Buttons after hearing everyone’s praising it! They were so right! Such a quick make! Tilly’s instructions are THE BEST and it might be the first time I make something with jersey and not having seams pop. Well done, Tilly! This will be made in so many versions and it’s definitely a staple in my wardrobe! I will soon write a full pattern review for you 🙂 The fabric I used was this one, it’s soft and great quality, although it’s a bit thinner than I would want and I feel the neckline stretches a bit more due to that fact.
Last but not least, the Tulip Skirt by Sew Over It. A quite unusual skirt with pockets, it has pleats on the front and can be made as a mini or as a longer skirt. I went for the mini. I made it with a wool fabric and had no problems with the pattern, except for thr pleats part, I found the instructions there a little bit confusing and had to look it up on the internet. Turns out I was folding the fabric wrong, but when I figured it out the skirt was made in no time! Thumbs up!
And that is all for these 2 months! I had so much fun making all these garments and it is so important to me to be able to sew something I can actually wear and enjoy!
Let me know what you think and I am looking forward to hearing from you in the comments or at my Instagram!