I was waiting for the 1940s wrap dress pattern to get released since the beginning of the year, when Lisa announced in one of her videos that it’s going to be one of their three printed patterns for the year. I even saved the fabric to make it and I was stalking their social media to see when it’s going to be available! Imagine my excitement when I saw it two weeks ago! I bought the pattern immediately, I printed it and sticked it together the same night and last weekend was all about this dress!
It was definitely a labor of love! This dress as lovely as it is was a bit time consuming to make! It took me almost 7 hours to complete it, not including the cutting.It has some details that you have to pay attention to when you are making it, like the gathers at the shoulders, the collar, the darts and of course the gathers at the waist. I decided not to rush myself this time and cherish every little step! I laid out all the tools I was going to need, plugged my iron and my serger and tried to be relaxed! This dress has A LOT of hand sewing! The entire bias binding at the collar is slip stitched, the waistband is also slip stitched to hide the raw edges on the inside and I decided to hem both the skirt and the sleeves by hand as well, to give it a more polished finish.
As for the fabric, I chose a burgundy crepe-like fabric that I bought in September from the local fair. A lady there was selling very high quality fabrics, mostly wools and crepes in 2,50 metre pieces (I imagine they were remnants and off cuts from fabric stores) and I spend a small fortune on them as soon as I realized they were so good! Anyway, the fabric worked fine with my dress and I love the color, but it didn’t iron that well and gave me some trouble when I tried to be precise with pressing. The worst thing though happened today, as I ironed the dress to photograph it! I burned a hole on the sleeve, the iron stuck to the fabric and ruined it 🙁 Fortunately I have some left to cut another sleeve, but it means that I’ll have to do it all from the start!
Regarding the size, I chose a size 10 according to my measurements and didn’t make any alterations. I think it fits great! I used a button on the inside of the waistband and a popper on the other side to close the dress, as it is a wrap dress. I haven’t worn it out yet to see if there’s a risk of it opening up, but I think it’ll be ok!
I’m absolutely in love with this dress and I want to make another one as soon as possible! I hope you like it, too!